Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 30, 2009

Austin, never forgotten




















I recently had to change cell phones due to a microphone issue. I went back to an older phone that I had and moved all the photos onto iphoto. The photos on the older phone depict Austin's stay with us. I didn't have a digital camera, so I used my phone all the time.

Austin came to our home in January 2006, we adopted him from the KS Humane Society and had him in our lives for a year. Austin was approximately 9 yrs old when we brought him home.

Austin was such a good playmate for Regan and sleepmate for NeoTech. Austin loved playing tug-of-war, snuggling, and sleeping. He was over 80lbs and thought he was a lap dog!

When we brought Austin home we discovered within the week that he had kennel cough.  We did not see his anxiety come through until a month after having him.  We strived to give him a stable home and tried to crate train him- but he would have anxiety attacks.

German Shorthair pointers are prone to separation anxiety and when they get it, they get it bad!  We took him to the Vet and tried everything we could afford; including meds that cost $150/month.  We worked with Austin for 1 year; but were unable to keep him. I tried to get him into a rescue facility- but that was unsuccessful. 

In the end, we had to take him back to the KS Humane Society. Though we were unable to care for him for the remainder of his life- we know we gave him the best year we could. 

He will never be forgotten! 

If I ever "come into money" I would like to start my own rescue OR start a fund named: Austin's Haven to support rescues that take in German Shorthair pointers. Rescues need funding. When we lived in Wichita, KS we would always take time to donate supplies and well as donate to Woofstock.  I am so sad that we were unable to keep Austin; but I am so grateful for the KS Humane Society and other foundations that help support German Shorthair pointers and other animals.

After starting a family; I would really like to consider fostering German Shorthair pointers - if I can talk Matt into it!  :)


1 comment:

Becca said...

You have such a kind heart. You will make a great foster mom to any dog you take in!